Dispute resolution has been our passion and a core practice area for more than 20 years. Over this time, we have dealt with the most complex and profound domestic and cross-border disputes in the Ukrainian market.
We are one of the biggest teams in Ukraine comprising over 25 litigators.
Our team has an extensive experience of pursuing legal proceedings to defend major companies in complex trans-border disputes.
We devote a considerable part of our practice to representing clients in administrative procedures.
Many cases we have been involved in have become precedents that have changed the way of doing business in different industries to the benefit of our clients.
We strive not only to win a case in courts but also to ensure actual execution of judgments. Our experts advise our clients not only on legal prospects of a legal action but also on the likelihood of actual asset recovery. Therefore, we have one of the best success records in terms of actually executed judgments.
Our reach expands beyond Ukraine through our offices in Belgium, the U.S. and UK, as well as further globally through the networks of Lex Mundi and World Services Group.
We regularly represent major international and local companies across wide range of industries in disputes of any dimension, including, amongst others:
- the State bank of Ireland to restore control over a shopping mall and a business centre in Kyiv. In order to achieve the positive results our litigation team managed to develop and use a multidirectional counterstrategy, including: (i) over 35 litigations in Ukraine, UK, Ireland and BVI, (ii) series of corporate actions, (iii) media campaign, (iv) massive complaint process through prosecution, court and business protection authorities in Ukraine, and (v) legal pressure through diplomatic channels;
- JSC CB PRIVATBANK before the Cassation Commercial Court of the Supreme Court in
- a UAH 2 billion dispute with the Ukrainian provider of engineering, geology, geodesy, and technical consulting services with respect to the property guarantor's claims to declare illegal omission of the National Banks of Ukraine and to oblige JSC CB PRIVATBANK to transfer funds; a UAH 5.72 billion dispute with the Ukrainian logistic company and the Ukrainian provider of engineering, geology, geodesy, and technical consulting services over the demands of the bank's property guarantors to terminate mortgage contracts;
- before the Constitutional Court of Ukraine in a case under the constitutional complaint of the bank regarding the non-compliance of the Constitution of Ukraine with the provisions of the law of Ukraine, which were applied in the final court judgement in a lawsuit against JSC CB PRIVATBANK;
- JSC CB PRIVATBANK around 360 proceedings brought before Ukrainian courts to challenge contracts associated with the refinancing of a bank, as well as in foreclosure and recovery proceedings against the bank;
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. in a dispute on extension of patent term for medical product for additional 3 years over standard 20 years’ term – the first of its kind case in Ukraine, which proved for hundreds of other patents owners they could potentially enforce their right for extension of patent protection;
- the Cyprus Bank’s asset in Ukraine against a series of claims totalling over USD 60 million. Ukrainian courts rejected all claims brought by the opponents due to the use of: (i) exposing judges’ prejudice in court, (ii) reporting misconducts by the judges and the attorneys to relevant supervision bodies, and (iii) support from the Cyprus diplomatic mission and the Client’s local partners;
- the State bank of a European country on protection of its title of to a pharmacy chain in Ukraine following a hostile takeover attempt. Due to the active defence – a criminal case for fraud and forgery combined with a series of court actions – the raiders were prevented from changing the management of the pharmacy chain and failed to take over the control over it;
- a US-based leading provider of larger Offshore Service Vessels to the global energy industry in three disputes initiated by the employees of the client seeking labour compensation and compensation of moral damage;
- Crédit Agricole CIB regarding the collection of a multimillion unsecured debt and achieving the actual enforcement of the judgement;
- Kronospan in court proceedings against Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine in relation to the alleged bid rotation cartel and successful challenge of the highest fine imposed by the authority in its history;
- ED & F Man Holdings in a series of matters, including the defense against abusive litigation directed at its subsidiaries in Ukraine, as well as in disputes with the tax authorities regarding multimillion tax penalties;
- Coca-Cola Ukraine in numerous matters arising under Ukrainian law with respect to the company’s activities in Ukraine, including litigation in Ukrainian courts in connection with defending the company’s intellectual property rights, advertising, and consumer claims;
- VR Capital in a series of corporate disputes with Nadra Bank before the Ukrainian administrative and commercial courts, i.e. in challenging the 443 million USD additional share issue by Nadra Bank;
- Group DF in a series of corporate disputes against OJSC "Uralkalii" with regard to the shares of PJSC "Azot";
- Swedbank in a series of disputes with its borrowers regarding the collection of large outstanding debts totalling over 100 million USD, their recovery against mortgaged property, as well as advising in respect to insolvency proceedings;
- Sopharma AD with respect to the litigation brought against its distributor in Ukraine regarding its breach of contract and the collection of debts for medication supplied; assisting on premature termination of licenses for certain medications, various labor law-related litigation cases, and on a case regarding the misappropriation of funds;
- Nissan Motor Ukraine on matters related to consumer rights protection.