Asters became a member of the UN Global Compact Network Ukraine, which is a dialogue and educational platform for achieving sustainable development goals. The membership provides access to the base of practical knowledge, educational projects, international and local events to help Ukrainian businesses with integration of sustainable development principles into their activities.
Asters' ongoing business activities and strategy focus on the following sustainable development goals – good health and well-being, quality education, gender equality, decent work and economic growth, innovation and infrastructure, renewable energy, responsible consumption, climate action, peace and justice, partnership for the goals.
The most representative Asters' projects include:
- Providing pro bono legal services to Tabletochki Charity Foundation, in particular advising on the issues related to advocacy of regulatory proposals for the treatment of childhood cancer.
- Launching, together with Tabletochki Charity Foundation, a charity race DobroRun that over the past 2 years raised UAH 3+ mln for helping children with cancer.
- Acting as a general partner of the bachelor's degree in law program at the Ukrainian Catholic University.
- Supporting the Kyiv School of Economics as an institutional partner.
- Promoting (jointly with the USUBC) Ukrainian art in ArtAsters project since 2009.
- Supporting equality, empathy and inclusion projects in Ukraine: one of the first law firms in Ukraine that supported Pride Month, pro bono legal counsel to "She is Science" project, member of UNFPA's Declaration for Gender Equality and Prevention of Domestic Violence, adaptation of the corporate website for people with visual impairment; member of "Business without Barriers", an initiative of the Ukraine's first lady.
- Establishing the Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development Practice that offers comprehensive legal solutions for environmental matters (regulatory issues, carbon emissions reduction and special water use etc.). The firm's lawyers contribute to improving the legislation in energy, ecology and subsoil use fields.
- Advising pro bono the state authorities on the issues related to drafting new legislation, litigation with the state as a party, sanctions regime, etc.
Asters' Counsel of Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development Practice, pro bono legal advisor of the EBA Committee on Industrial Ecology and Sustainable Development Anzhelika Livitska comments: "Joining the UN Global Compact Network Ukraine is a consistent step within Asters' ESG strategy, especially during the wartime. For many years the firm has not only been declaring the sustainable development goals but has implemented its own projects and supported the clients' projects that change Ukraine for better. We believe that our experience will be beneficial and help to introduce the best international practices for the development of our country during the wartime as well as during its restoration and rebuild".
UN Global Compact Network Ukraine is the official representative of the UN Global Compact. It is the world's largest corporate responsibility business association, which encourages companies to build their activities and strategies in accordance with the Sustainable Development Goals and based on the universal Ten Principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment, and anti-corruption.
Asters is the largest law firm in Ukraine with offices in Kyiv, Washington D.C., Brussels and London. In 2020-2021, the firm was recognised as one of the most socially responsible law firms in Ukraine according to the annual PLS Top Teams research held by Legal Practice weekly.