Although agriculture is a key sector of the Ukrainian economy, professional advisers, including lawyers, have long underserved it. Land and other legislation affecting agriculture remain very complex and sometimes even archaic. This often creates barriers to investment and growth, which we constantly work to overcome. Among our clients, there are major investors in Ukrainian agribusiness.
Asters is recognized among the Top 5 law firms for agribusiness in Ukraine by the Ukrainian Law Firms 2018 handbook.
We regularly advise major companies on various matters related to the agriculture industry:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, The Royal Bank of Scotland, UBS Investment Bank and Dragon Capital on the 250 million USD debut issue of Eurobonds by Mriya Agro Holding Public Limited, one of the leading agricultural groups in Ukraine;
- 250 million USD Eurobond offering by Mironivsky Hliboproduct, Ukraine's major poultry producer which has construction projects underway to make it one of the Europe's largest producers;
- The acquisition and operation of sugar production facilities in Ukraine by ED&F Man Holdings, a major global supplier of food, feeds, and biofuels, including assistance with the associated corporate, regulatory, and litigation issues;
- 50 million USD loan facility provided by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development to NCH New Europe Property Fund to improve the fund's farming operations in Ukraine;
- 75 million USD long-term quasi-equity financing and three-year renewable financing of working capital by the International Finance Corporation to Mriya group, one of the largest agro-holdings in Ukraine;
- ING Bank's 20 million USD pre-export finance facility to Grain Trading Company, part of the Allseeds Group;
- The joint venture between Biogreen Farms, a subsidiary of an Irish agricultural group, and the state farm Azovsky, which belongs to the Defence Ministry of Ukraine;
- The acquisition of Advanta Lambda by Florimond Desprez, a biotechnology company specializing in the development of plant varieties;
- Employment matters at Syngenta Ukraine, a subsidiary of a global Swiss agribusiness company, including collective bargaining and restructuring.
In addition to the standard matters we deal with in agriculture, we are also known for our innovative solutions to novel legal problems: from land allocation to the issuance of depositary receipts on the international stock exchanges for Ukrainian agribusiness companies. We provide a full range of services in agriculture.